With 30 years experience as a human resources executive for top Fortune 500 companies, Ruth Ross has used her knowledge to finetune her theory on engagement in the workplace. In this podcast, she will talk about how engagement is key in raising productivity, and some tips for both manager and employee to improve engagement.
Ruth relates here the disengagement she herself experienced while working as a top executive, and how she used this realization as the foundation to build her now successful consulting firm.
She shares her proven “Alive” program, which is a 5-step program that has been proven to increase employee and manager engagement with little to no cost.
To top it off, she talks about her acclaimed book “Coming Alive: The Journey To Reengage Your Life And Career”, where she talks in-depth of good engagement practices that can be used in the workplace and everyday life.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
• How the engagement crisis is costing businesses in the United States billions of dollars a year.
• How to recognize the signs of disengagement.
• No-cost steps to reengage employees and managers.
• Each of us individually needs to be our own CEO. We need to be our own Chief Engagement Officer.
• I wanted people to understand that you cannot compartmentalize your life. That what happens at work affects you at home, and vice versa.
• Disengagement in the workplace is becoming a widespread problem in the United States and around the world. Unless managers and corporations take active steps to solve it, it will continue to affect productivity and profits every year.
• Disengagement is something most people experience in their life. The first step to solving this crisis is by owning that feeling. After that, realizing your passions and dealbreakers will help you move forward in your career.
• The major solution to disengagement is by getting back to the basics of connecting, especially between manager and employee. Managers have a really important role in improving their employees’ engagement, but they cannot actively engage others without helping themselves first.
Related Links & References:
• Ruth Ross’s official website: http://www.ruthkross.com/
• Coming Alive: The Journey to Reengage Your Life and Career: http://www.ruthkross.com/the-book/
• Ruth’s Twitter handle: https://twitter.com/ruthkross
• Ruth’s Facebook page: https://web.facebook.com/RuthKRossEngagementThoughtLeader
• Gallup’s Q12 survey results on employee engagement: http://www.gallup.com/services/169328/q12-employee-engagement.aspx